Waterlogged...

 


On Sunday August 18th I accomplished a goal I had set back in the middle of 2010; to swim a 5k in the open water without a bike or run attached. My training was very sub-par as my summer was really busy working round the clock at a few pools. When I wasn't working at the pools; I just wanted to get away from them. I don't like making excuses, but I didn't have the time to do the longer swims I should have done and the longer swims I wanted to do. I had 3 hours to complete this 3-mile open water. I knew I could get it done as completing the swim was the only thing that mattered. I had 3 hours to swim what was well over 3 miles in just over 2 hours. I was just happy to finish. It was honestly the hardest athletic accomplishment I've completed in my life as an athlete. It took me a bit over 2 hours. I had times during the last two laps; it was a 6-lap swim that my legs cramped up from being dehydrated. I was in a dark place thinking I wouldn't be able to finish. I let those dark moments be my biggest inspiration to finish. I fell in love with the challenge of swimming longer distances in the open water and I will go back to one of Steelman Racing's Open Water Swim events om 2025 better trained and have a better nutrition plan so I don't cramp up to better my time from this year. 

 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 Things I Learned During Season 20 In Triathlon

What A Weekend

Celebrating Myself