20 Things I Learned During Season 20 In Triathlon

As my 2024 Triathlon Season has been complete for several weeks now; I thought this blog post would be fitting. It's been a season of reflection. It's been a season that has turned out to be celebratory in ways I never imagined it would be. Below are 20 Things I Learned During My Season 20 In Triathlon.



1. Keeping this blog up to date this season reminds me why I started it back in 2007. I wanted to document my journey to IRONMAN Coeur d'Alene 2008 (my first of that distance) in a way that made it different as social media wasn't so big back then. I looked back at posts from all my training and racing leading up to that magical day and it reminded me of what this journey is all about. I made myself a promise that I'd keep my blog up to date this season to remind me of the journey it's been.

2. Reflecting on past seasons helped me become the triathlete I have dreamed of becoming. This season has been all about reflection; seeing who I have been over the past 2 decades. The good. The bad. The happy. The sad. The times where I had support and the times where I haven't had support. I remember all of it like no time has passed; no matter how good or bad things have been. All of this has helped me realize who I want to be as an athlete going forward in the seasons to come.

3. Hanging onto a positive attitude really helps keep everything in perspective. This season went from having a negative attitude at points to becoming more positive. The more positive I've been the better things have been in the world and land of the Swim Bike Run. 

4. Doing race dedications for each race this season makes those around me know they have had an impact on me. These race dedications have made the me less self-centered than the sport makes me already. It's been a way to show appreciation for others who have had an impact on this journey. It has added a nice personal and meaningful touch. 

5. Everything turns out really well when there is no pressure added. I perform at my best right here. My 2024 season was an exact carbon copy of my 2004 season just a few years later. I also had some amazing performances to boot; something that wasn't expected at all.

6. Non number related goals make the journey more enjoyable. This has to do with making race goals not about the numbers. In the back of my head there were numbers I just kept them to myself quietly. I was disappointed when the numbers didn't happen or go as I wanted but where I am; numbers matter but don't matter.

7. Finding new ways to keep training and racing FUN. I've been doing this for so long now and keeping the 'fun' as a big feature makes sense. The fun things this season have included jamming out to Spice Girls and Melanie C tunes and wearing something pink.

8. Continuing to show up for myself has made a huge difference. I do this for myself. Not for anyone else. I don't need to prove anything to anyone but me. I like taking on the challenge to see what my body can do and how well it can do it.

9. Always celebrate the wins; no matter the size. Whether it's being able to fuel correctly or reach the finish line of a race you toed the start of; they're all important. None takes higher precedent or value over the other. 

10. Learning other athletes' stories has helped fuel my fire and helps inspire me. No matter what sport(s) an athlete has some prior background in or knowing what they've achieved has helped me. Sometimes it's from a goal someone else achieved that inspires me to think about doing that same thing one day.

11. Celebrating others and their accomplishments in the sport(s). It's nice to celebrate others and what they accomplish as athletes are so supportive of each other. Even if I'm not close with others around me I still see what they're doing and celebrate them. 

12. The Smiley Face on the calf opposite my age still works its magic o other athletes. I knew this quite a few seasons ago; but when I pass someone on the bike and the run the smiley face helps encourage those athletes. It brings up conversation post-race and even during.

13. Conversing with athletes has become an essential way of giving back. I love when I'm at a triathlon and there is a newbie athlete racked next to me. We normally talk for a few minutes as we arrive. Most of the time it's a first-time triathlete next to me who isn't sure of some part of their transition set up. When I can help that triathlete get their transition area laid out; they thank me. I am reminded that when I started, I didn't know what to do so it's definitely giving back to help these new athletes.

14. Being an active member of the Montgomery Ancient Mariners; my masters (ages 18 and up) swim team has become very effective for my swim training. It's also been a wonderful way to socialize with swimmers in the community. Not just do I get to interact with other swimmers in the masters swimming community but I also 

15. Making connections with the local swim/bike/run shops have provided to be good resources. I've found good resources at the local shops but it's not for me specifically. It's for something I'm working on that will help me leave my impact on how I help others. 

16. I've seen how triathlon has evolved as I've evolved with the sport over the years. This has made me think about the change I'd like to make and how I want to leave my mark; which will help others in the sport. What I've been thinking about doing has already started with many small steps to build something bigger. It will take time achieve my goal and one day the goal will be completed. 

17. Being a triathlete has opened my mind to interests outside the sport. Besides writing which started with this Triathlete4Life Triathlon and Running Blog; an interest of doing something with photography has come into play. I love capturing pictures through a lense; both on my phone but more so on my digital camera. 

18. Dream big. There are so many distances and types of multisport races I dreamed of doing over time. Just this season; the 20th one I completed my first ever aquabike (swim bike done) and my first ever open water swim race (one without a bike and/or run attached). I'm now addicted to both and am already trying to figure out where to fit them in for my 2025 season.

19. Not many people I know who started doing triathlon in 2004 and earlier are still going 20 years/ or longer strong in the sport. Claim for my own purpose of Legend and Rockstar Status. I've been here and I've never stopped. Even for those periods of time where I wanted to take a break or stop all together; I'm still here getting it done but this time on my own terms.

20, This sport is a personal journey. We all do this for our own reason. For me my reason, my why, my fuel that ignites the fire changes from season to season and sometimes changes within the season. It makes it special and meaningful and worthwhile to continue doing. 

Peace Out Season Twenty; you were something special. You were like my first season in 2004 just two decades later in 2024. I've learned from you. I will continue to grow on future seasons from some of these things learned. 

        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What A Weekend

Celebrating Myself