Coming Up...

In many ways oh so soon!


First up USA Triathlon Nationals in Milwaukee WI. In T-Minus (gulp) 9 days I'll be swimming .9 miles aka 1500 meters aka 1.5km in a protected area of Lake Michigan. But for those who know me well; I'll be swimming more than a mile because LOL I can't swim straight and follow the buoys and to add to that I have to breathe to my right which NO WAY Jose isn't what I do best. After the swim portion; I'll take off my swim cap and goggles; put on my bike helmet, sunglasses, socks, bike shoes on before I un-rack Zoom 2.0 and we head out for a nice and (hopefully crossing your fingers) speedy and fast 25 miles aka 40km bike through the streets of Milwaukee. I've heard from those who've down Nationals in Milwaukee in past years that the course is fast (minus all the sharp u-turns for turnaround points) and it's mostly flat (minus this bridge we go over). After I get off Zoom 2.0; I'll head back to transition, take off my helmet and bike shoes. I'll also rack Zoom 2.0 (duh)  put on my race number belt and running shoes (maybe a running hat but that is to be decided when I get back to T2) and head out on the 10km aka 6.2 mile run course. It's supposed to be flat as a pancake as we run on the streets and paved trails overlooking Lake Michigan. This will NOT be as speedy of a run like USA Triathlon Nationals in Cleveland back in 2018 was but I'll do my best (that's all I can do really). I'll also get to see so many triathlon friends from all over the country as well as get to catch some action of Youth and Junior Nationals and of the course the Men's PTO (Professional Triathletes Organization) Pro race the day before I race. I must add that due to wanting the go see a baseball game with Dad at American Family Field ballpark with Dad as the Brewers take on Mom's Pittsburgh Pirates Saturday night; I won't be able to watch the Women's PTO pro Race but hey; I'll survive and be fine. Should be a FUN and exciting way to end my 2023 triathlon season as well as my triathlon career in the Gals 35-39 Year Old Age Group. Boo to getting old and aging up to Gals 40-44 for my 20th triathlon season in 2024 (so annoying).



Welp y'all; once August 6th comes around it'll be all focus towards the 2023 Marine Corps Marathon on October 29th which is now only oh boy 94 days from now. This will be my 21st marathon overall since 2006, my 2nd Marine Corps Marathon (did it the only other time in 2016), and my 18th stand alone marathon (no swimming or cycling miles before the run miles). I chose Marine Corps because (a) it's local for me and (b) it's not a lottery entry anymore (didn't get in the lottery in 2014 or 2015) but thanks for the pandemic there's no lottery and it's just open to general registration. Right now my longest run is at 7 miles and I would assume that my longest run (probably early early October) will be more than 20 or 21 miles. I have time to train it's just I haven't done a marathon since April 2018 so I feel like a complete newbie that's never ran a longer distance race before. But thank goodness for a training plan that I've been following for most of July and will continue to follow until I run Marine Corps Marathon. I'm really excited to get to the 9 mile and longer miles long runs for one reason. I can park in Bethesda Maryland (whether at the garage at Bethesda Row or the Bethesda Outdoor Pool) run down the Capital Crescent Trail into Georgetown, then make my way on the trail past Kennedy Center which overlooks the Potomac River, and depending on how far I have to run; I'd run around DC or to a metro station so I can then make it easy and just Metro back to Bethesda. Is that weird that I like long runs so I can run one way and utilize public transportation to get back? Hey it beats running down the CCT to Georgetown on a good downhill then sluggishly making my way back up the the CCT to Bethesda on a super hard uphill that never end. Am I right? But MCM is till a good long ways away; I have time to get ready and I'll enjoy the journey.

Now the thing that has to wait until 2024! I thought on Sunday August 20th I'd complete my FIRST EVER open water swim race (no cycling or running afterwards) at the Steelman Racing Open Water Swim Series in Quakertown PA. Due to other things; my first ever open water swim race and my first ever open water 5k swim, it will have to wait until 2024. But you know what it's fine! This year is about running really and next year; my 20th season of all this craziness I can't live without is about doing races and distances I've never done before. Trust me; I'll live and I'll still be a mermaid.

More to come people! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating Myself

My I Can Do Hard Things Swimming Edition