Dear Mom

 
Dear Mom! I woke up this morning shedding so many tears and I'm happy I had Honey right next to me on my bed to hug. Yes; Julie and I still have Honey your 2003 Mother's Day gift, a cute tabby cat from Build A Bear that had so much meaning. Just like she went everywhere with you; she has gone so many places with me. I held her tight for a few minutes because that is one piece of you I always have with me. I still can't believe today marks 13 years since you left us. This date remains to be a hard day and that will never change. I've been reflecting on so many things lately and decided to use this space to reflect a bit; but the good moments of course. I've been thinking for quite some time about writing you here. Whether or not you approve, whether or not you tell me to erase this post; I won't. Below are some very important things about you I remember the most and will share a few pictures along the way!


I remember your hugs. They were so gentle and went a very long way. I love this picture I pulled out of one of the picture albums from back in the days. I wish I could hug you right now. I really need a mommy hug.




You were the sole reason I found love in the Washington Capitals which has spread to a general interest in hockey over the years. Julie still has her Ovi jersey, I still have my Backstrom jersey you and Dad bought me.The one in this picture got signed by Nicky and I refuse to wear it so I bought myself another one. Your Original Caps jersey is currently sitting on the couch as it's still hockey season; but that's because it's the playoffs and well you probably know the rest as you went through the heartache for too many years. Caps are kinda still in it but it's gotten ugly. You'd be very proud of Dad; he got himself a TJ Oshie jersey a few years ago. You wouldn't know TJ Oshie as he came to DC from St. Louis about 7 or 8 years ago in a trade. You'd like him. He's become a fan favorite. Oh and Mike Green a Canadian defenseman that Rocked the Red wearing Number 52 called you a smart lady but that's another story for another time. I go to games with Dad still. We go to Wok n Roll near the arena for Chinese. Dad basically has you there when I'm there but I'm just 5000 times more obnoxious and he wouldn't have it any other way. The Capitals are my favorite professional sports team and it was all you.


It's been 20 years since I found triathlon (as well as running). You are and will forever remain the Head Cheerleader of Team Marci. You came to many firsts in this sport. Jane took this picture of us after my first ever full Ironman distance finish in Coeur d' Alene Idaho. There are so many memories that remain in my heart from races you came to. You were always the first one to give me that post race hug at the finish line and you loved when you got to wear that finisher medal as you earned it just as much. If you want to sport any finisher medals; I can tell you where the box is and you can chose whichever one(s) you want to wear. I also remember how you were there to hug me when the finish line wasn't reached. I needed that nurturing and warm hug; to know that I'd be okay. The training for this demanding sport has remained a passion and has helped me get through so much. I've been dedicating races this season and your race dedication comes in early June. 


I really don't know how anyone has made it without you around Mom. I think about you so much. I might shed some tears today as I always do but I'm also going to celebrate you because you'd want that. I love you and miss you with all my heart; to the moon and back, always and forever.

Your Daughter Marci 🩷

Comments

Contepartiro said…
Such a beautiful tribute to your Mom. She was a wonderful lady. I miss her all the time.

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating Myself

My I Can Do Hard Things Swimming Edition

Coming Up...