At Peace With Pike's Peek 10k

1 Hour and 47 Seconds (official time) and 1 Hour and 49 Seconds (my Garmin's time) and you know what? I'm OK with it. At first I wasn't but now... now I'm content with how the 2019 Pike's Peek 10k actually went. This well known DC Area 10k is run from the Shady Grove Metro Station down Rockville Pike and ends at Pike&Rose. Even though this was my third time running this 10k it will ALWAYS remain a bucket list race.


My mile splits actually got slower and slower as the race went on but once again I'm at peace with this. My goal was to ultimately break 50 minutes when I first signed up in January. I believed there would be enough time to build that speed in my legs to get me to that goal. Well life happened and my training wasn't necessary ideal. I missed too many key Track and Speed workouts; so I adjusted my goals a bit. Both my coach and I thought breaking the 1 hour mark was do-able and I almost made it happen. I never told anyone; not even my coach but if I couldn't break an hour, running it at a sub 10 minute mile pace would do. Well; I achieved that one lone goal. My Garmin said 9:42 and official results said 9:47. No matter which way I look at it; I went sub 10 minute mile pace; that's a huge accomplishment for a distance I really felt not ready to race.


Even with Triathlon Season just 13 short days away from starting I'm starting to look into a Later in the Fall 10k of some sort. As hard as it racing 6.2 miles; I'm hungry to race it again and see under an hour show up on my Garmin and my results.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating Myself

My I Can Do Hard Things Swimming Edition

Coming Up...