Thought About Quitting...

I almost wanted to quit swimming and the 200 butterfly yesterday. I got a text from one of my swimming BFFs Gaby that Psych Sheets for the Montgomery Ancient Mariners Albatross Open were up and online. I scrolled through and was shocked when I saw that my other swimming BFF Sarah was also swimming the 200 Fly. First reaction was "what the hell is Sarah doing swimming my event". Second reaction was "maybe I just won't swim". I had some pretty intense conversations that afternoon with Gaby and Sarah. I also texted both Heather (the tri coach) and Stephen (the masters swim coach) to tell them I was nervous. Heather and I texted for a bit but I knew I wouldn't hear back from Stephen (in which I eventually talked to him at masters practice later). I was downright furious that my event wouldn't be my event anymore because Sarah was going to take "the event" and "the spotlight" away from me. I seriously didn't know what to do. When I went to masters later in the day; Sarah told me not to worry. The cool thing is Sarah and I came up with something real neat. She's seeded 6th and I'm seeded 8th; which should mean we are going to swim in the 2nd of 2 heats right next to each other. If that does in fact happen; we'll encourage each other as we swim the 8 lengths of the pool butterfly by talking in bubbles. Yes I know; but it really helped calm me down about the meet and the event.
I'm NOT a quitter but it's strange that sometimes I need to go into my "I'm gonna quit" mode to talk myself out of it. I'm feeling a bit more calm and ready for Saturday. Just a few more days until the 50 Breaststroke, 200 Butterfly, and 400 Free. Albatross... I'm coming for you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating Myself

Coming Up...

My I Can Do Hard Things Swimming Edition