IronGirl Columbia Race Recap

SWIM 1000 meters- First off the swim was delayed about 15 to 20 minutes due to the safety boat of whatever sort being late. I just wanted to get in because the nerves were building. Finally around 7:30 am I entered the waters of Centennial Lake. The water was Brown and things were floating around as usual. The first 200 meters sucked because we had to swim toward yellow buoys into to the sun. But once we turned at the red buoys to go the other direction; my swim was fantastic. I found my pace and went with it. I exited the water about 20 minutes later. As I ran toward transition though; after taking my cap off I tugged my goggles and they broke. Crap; I broke my fave pair of goggles. Whatever; now time to focus on the bike.
BIKE 16 miles- All I can say is WOW. The first uphill came right out of transition to get out of the park. I struggled a bit but was geared correctly so it wasn't terribly bad. The rest of the ride was pretty hilly. The amazing thing was I GOT PASSED by no one. Each and every girl I passed was told to "keep going". There were so many intersections being patrolled so I thanks the officers; and thanked the volunteers in general. I never found a good consistent pace because of a mix of up and down hills but pushed hard the whole time. By the time I was thinking about finding a consistent pace I was on the main road leading back to the park. My dad was a little shocked when I can rolling in. I conquered the bike course in about 54 minutes. Time to transition to run.
RUN 3.5 miles- So as I come out transition I thought about the fact that I almost had this. I knew the run wouldn't be easy because of all the climbing I would do. My Garmin showed such fast pacing I almost couldn't believe it. Wow; I was running at a steady 9:10 min mile, what!!!! I thought I'd get slower but I didnt. I paced myself well and high fived everyone I saw. I smiled the whole way. It was fun; which I've never said about the run before. I ended up averaging a 9:10 min mile; no wonder I almost cried happy tears at the finish. I couldn't believe it. I am truly an #irongirl and love it.

Comments

Unknown said…
Awesome recap!!

I heard about the ladies who got their chips taken away....I am so glad you were not in that group!

Good work on the course! You rocked it!

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating Myself

My I Can Do Hard Things Swimming Edition

Coming Up...