Bike but No Run...

In prep for Naylors Beach Olympic Tri, BrierMan Half Lite Tri, the Seagull Century, and Ironman Lake Placid... I sat on my saddle for over 3 hours Sunday. I covered a little over 51 miles in that time. Truthfully I thought it was going to be painful... being my longest ride currently this year... but it turned out to be an awesome ride.

It was decided the getting really lame Beach Drive was the course I would ride. The first half my dad followed along with me. Since he was only doing 25 he was just a speeding maniac. At some point of the ride he said to me "what are you not into it today?" My response "I'm doing 50 today... I need to conserve my energy!" We rode the flat North End... the somewhat hillier South End... up the Mountain... down the Mountain. It was then time for my dad to head home and for me to continue on. The North End seemed harder the second time around... though my speed was much higher than the first time around. I got in aero bars and just flew like I always do on the flats. As I was nearing the car and was approaching 40 miles... the mental toughness part came in. I wanted to give up and only do 40... but then again I said I was going to do 50. So I rode on... past the car... up and down the hills... back to the Mountain. The Mountain also seemed harder this time. The first few turns going up the hard way nearly took my breath away... I wanted to be done with it. The downhill to follow was awesome. I didn't squeeze the brakes as much as I often do and just let myself fly. The next thing I knew I saw my computer hit 50 miles. I was overjoyed... I could really do this long riding again... it felt FANTASTIC!

I was planning on running 7 miles afterwards but chickened out... due to the major heat wave that has hit the DC area. This all meant missing two runs last week of my marathon training... but I still managed to run 22... not to bad!

More to come...

Comments

Rainmaker said…
Nicely done on the bike ride...all miles put in the IM bank.
Missy said…
I know it, hot as Hades here too, totally sucks! Great job on the bike - you have a great run base, no worries!
Kelly said…
Wow, 50 miles. Well done. I have no idea where I would even find 50 miles of road to ride on around here.
JC said…
Woohoo Girly! Way to go on that ride and sometimes better safe than sorry for the run.
Mel-2nd Chances said…
Sweet! Awesome job on the ride -- I can't wait to build up my bike distance -- we've gotten the summer humidity too... so running the 7miles woulda been tough!

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating Myself

My I Can Do Hard Things Swimming Edition

Coming Up...